2013 Fantasy Football Rankings: My Way-Too-Early Tight End Rankings
Daily Fantasy Sports:|
>> Open an account with DraftKings and get a 100% bonus (up to $600) on your initial deposit.
New Orleans Saints tight end Jimmy Graham. That's it.
That's the list of tight ends that finished ahead of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski in fantasy points this season even though Gronk missed five games.
One of the biggest mismatches at any position, Gronkowski is at his best in the redzone.
Gronkowski led all tight ends in receiving touchdowns (11) in 11 games played and he now has double-digit touchdowns in all three of his NFL seasons. He has a total of 39 touchdowns (38 receiving and one "rushing") in 43 career games.
Since he entered the NFL, no player has more receiving touchdowns than he has. Detroit wide receiver Calvin Johnson is second (33) and Dez Bryant is third (27).
Only three other tight ends have at least 20 scores during that span: Graham (25), San Diego's Antonio Gates (24) and Atlanta's Tony Gonzalez (21).
Although he should be fully healthy heading into the 2013 season, Gronkowski broke his forearm again in his first game back from the injury and he will miss the remainder of the playoffs.
Heath Miller: The Pro Bowler
Early in the season, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger stated several times that it was his goal to get tight end Heath Miller to the Pro Bowl.
He did. For the second time in his career, Miller was selected to the Pro Bowl.
Unfortunately Miller won't get a chance to play in the game (then again, who watches it anyways?) as he suffered a knee injury to his ACL, MCL and PCL and underwent surgery at the end of 2012.
Miller finished the season with 71 receptions for 816 yards and eight touchdowns in 15 games.
Of course, the biggest question with Miller is: Will he ready for the start of the 2013 season?
Vernon Davis: A One-Game Wonder With Kaepernick
The Colin Kaepernick era started well for San Francisco tight end Vernon Davis. In Kaepernick's first start (Week 11), Davis had six catches for 83 yards and a score.
From there on out, however, Davis had a total of six receptions in the final six games of the regular season and had more than 15 receiving yards only once (27 yards in Week 16).
With Kaepernick entrenched as the starter, the fantasy outlook for Davis is not great in 2013.
Considering his freakish athleticism, I will try to draft Davis late, if possible, on hopes that the pair establish some chemistry in the offseason and into next year. That said, I will make sure to grab a tight end that I know will more of a focal point of the offense.
Here are my way-too-early top 25 fantasy tight ends for 2013 (standard scoring):
1. Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots
2. Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints
3. Aaron Hernandez, New England Patriots
4. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys
5. Tony Gonzalez, Atlanta Falcons (assuming he returns)
6. Owen Daniels, Houston Texans
7. Greg Olsen, Carolina Panthers
8. Kyle Rudolph, Minnesota Vikings
9. Jermaine Gresham, Cincinnati Bengals
10. Heath Miller, Pittsburgh Steelers
11. Brandon Myers, Oakland Raiders
12. Dennis Pitta, Baltimore Ravens
13. Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers
14. Brandon Pettigrew, Detroit Lions
15. Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers
16. Martellus Bennett, New York Giants
17. Zach Miller, Seattle Seahawks
18. Jermichael Finley, Green Bay Packers
19. Lance Kendricks, St. Louis Rams
20. Fred Davis, Washington Redskins
21. Marcedes Lewis, Jacksonville Jaguars
22. Scott Chandler, Buffalo Bills
23. Brent Celek, Philadelphia Eagles
24. Jacob Tamme, Denver Broncos
25. Jared Cook, Tennessee Titans