2013 NFL Draft Poll: How many QBs will be selected in Round 1?
Two weeks from tomorrow night will be Round 1 of the 2013 NFL Draft at Radio City Music Hall in the city so nice they named it twice.
In my latest mock draft update, the first quarterback off the board was West Virginia's Geno Smith as the eighth overall pick to the Buffalo Bills.
And that's it in the first round.
If the draft plays out like that, it would be a first, actually two of them, for a long time.
The last time there were no quarterbacks taken within the first five picks was 2000. And the last time there was only one quarterback selected in the first round was 2001.
As one would expect considering the importance of the quarterback position, the quarterback-needy teams are concentrated at the top of the draft.
In addition, this year's draft class does not have the same kind of elite talent that we saw in 2012 with Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III being viewed as sure things heading into the draft. At this point, the most likely scenario that leads to multiple quarterbacks being selected in the first round will be teams trading up and back into the end of Round 1.
How many quarterbacks will be selected in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft? Which ones?
Here is a list of first-round quarterbacks since 2001:
- 2012 (4): Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden
- 2011 (4): Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder
- 2010 (2): Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow
- 2009 (3): Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman
- 2008 (2): Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco
- 2007 (2): JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn
- 2006 (3): Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler
- 2005 (3): Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers and Jason Campbell
- 2004 (4): Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger and J.P. Losman
- 2003 (4): Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller and Rex Grossman
- 2002 (3): David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey
- 2001 (1): Michael Vick
|DraftKings is offering a $1,000 Week 1 Fantasy Football Free Roll: $1,000 in prizes, FREE entry|