Fantasy Football Mock Draft Per Day (6/2/13): 12 Teams, No. 5 Pick, PPR Scoring
Last preseason, we conducted one fantasy football mock draft per day using a mock draft simulator powered by FantasyPros.
Starting yesterday, we have begun conducting and posting a draft per day with a 12-team standard-scoring mock draft. We will track all of them here on this centralized page.
Like last year, I will vary the size of the league, the scoring format and draft slot and then post the results of my team with comments.
For today's mock, it is based on point-per-reception (PPR) scoring leagues with 12 teams and I had the No. 5 pick. The league starts one quarterback, two running backs, three wide receivers, one tight end, one kicker and one team defense.
Here are my picks:
- 1.05: Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit Lions
- 2.08: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Seattle Seahawks
- 3.05: Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona Cardinals
- 4.08: Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, Jacksonville Jaguars
- 5.05: Marques Colston, WR, New Orleans Saints
- 6.08: Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers
- 7.05: Vick Ballard, RB, Indianapolis Colts
- 8.08: Josh Gordon, WR, Cleveland Browns
- 9.05: Tony Romo, QB, Dallas Cowboys
- 10.08: Lance Moore, WR, New Orleans Saints
- 11.05: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Carolina Panthers
- 12.08: Bernard Pierce, RB, Baltimore Ravens
- 13.05: Brandon Myers, TE, New York Giants
- 14.08: Arizona Cardinals D/ST
- 15.05: Justin Tucker, K, Baltimore Ravens
Here are some thoughts by position:
- Quarterbacks: Like with yesterday's standard-scoring mock, the strategy was to draft the last top-12 quarterback available. That happened with Romo at pick 9.05. As one of six quarterbacks to throw it 600-plus times last season, Romo set a career high with 4,903 passing yards, which ranked third in the NFL. With the exception of an injury-shortened season in 2010, Romo has at least 25 passing touchdowns in five of the past six seasons. I am content going into the season with Romo as my starting quarterback.
- Running Backs: It always worries me to not take a running back with my first pick and to not have at least two running backs after my first three picks. Despite waiting to the fourth round to get my second running back, this team has plenty of depth at the position with Gore and Ballard backing up Lynch and MJD. Both Lynch and Gore are coming off back-to-back 1,200-yard seasons, MJD will be playing for his next contract and Ballard should get plenty of carries based on comments made by Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton to Dan Pompei.
- Wide Receivers: If this were a "real" draft of a "fake" football team, I would have considered going running back with my first pick. Since it was a "fake" draft of a "fake" football team, there are no real consequences of seeing how my team would turn out with Johnson. For the record (and although it shouldn't factor much into fantasy decisions), Megatron is also my favorite NFL player so I might be a little more willing to take him earlier than other "fake" drafters. I had the opportunity to take any WR other than Calvin, Brandon Marshall or A.J. Green with my second pick. Perhaps my team would have looked better with Ray Rice and Dez Bryant than it does with Johnson and Lynch as my first two picks. All of that said, WR is my deepest position and I expect a bounce-back season from Fitzgerald (see my projection here) and believe Colston is typically undervalued (see my projection here). Unlike yesterday's draft, I was able to land Josh Gordon, who I mentioned will be one of my most targeted receivers. He has the potential for a huge season in Norv Turner's vertical passing attack. Coming off his first-ever 1,000-yard season, Moore is an underrated receiver and a good value as an WR5.
- Tight Ends: Among the four main positions, tight end is clearly my weakest. I debated taking Dennis Pitta, who could be in store for a breakout season, with pick 7.05, but I opted for more running back depth instead. Pitta was selected with pick 7.09. Myers should have a solid season playing with Eli Manning.
- Kickers and Defense: As always, I will take the best available team defense with my second-to-last pick and the best available kicker with my last pick.
Tomorrow I will do a 16-team mock using standard scoring.
|DraftKings: Open an account and get a 100% deposit bonus (up to $600).|