Fantasy Football Mock Draft Per Day (6/4/13): 10 Teams, No. 10 Pick, Standard Scoring
Last preseason, we conducted one fantasy football mock draft per day using a mock draft simulator powered by FantasyPros.
Starting our 2013 series on June 1st, we have conducted our first several mock drafts and posted the results with comments. We will continue the process until the start of the 2013 season on September 5th.
We will track all of them here on this centralized page.
Like last year, I will vary the size of the league, the scoring format and draft slot and then post the results of my team with comments.
For today's mock, it is based on standard scoring leagues with 10 teams and I had the No. 10 pick. The league starts one quarterback, two running backs, three wide receivers, one tight end, one kicker and one team defense.
Here are my picks:
- 1.10: C.J. Spiller, RB, Buffalo Bills
- 2.01: LeSean McCoy, RB, Philadelphia Eagles
- 3.10: Matt Forte, RB, Chicago Bears
- 4.01: Roddy White, WR, Atlanta Falcons
- 5.10: Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers
- 6.01: Mike Wallace, WR, Miami Dolphins
- 7.10: Josh Gordon, WR, Cleveland Browns
- 8.01: Reggie Bush, RB, Detroit Lions
- 9.10: T.Y. Hilton, WR, Indianapolis Colts
- 10.01: Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks
- 11.10: Kenny Britt, WR, Tennessee Titans
- 12.01: Greg Olsen, TE, Carolina Panthers
- 13.10: Kendall Wright, WR, Tennessee Titans
- 14.01: San Francisco 49ers D/ST
- 15.10: Dan Bailey, K, Dallas Cowboys
Here are some thoughts by position:
- Quarterbacks (my rankings): In a shallow 10-team league, there is no need to take a quarterback early and I'm happy to end up with Wilson in the 10th round. Considering the top 14 quarterbacks were off the board before my 11th-round pick, I waited just long enough (and not too long) to draft my quarterback.
Wilson set a rookie record with 26 passing touchdowns and was one of four quarterbacks to post a triple-digit passer rating last year. The others were Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and fellow rookie Robert Griffin III.
In the second half of the season, he was arguably the best quarterback in the NFL. He completed 67.2 percent of his pass attempts for 1,652 yards, 16 touchdowns and only two interceptions. He had a quarterback rating of 120.3 in his final eight games. He also ran 58 times for 361 yards and four touchdowns during that span.
- Running Backs (my rankings): To have the 10th overall pick and end up with my quintet of running backs, I couldn't be more thrilled. Ultimately, I ended up with five running backs ranked inside my top 20: Spiller (fourth), McCoy (ninth), Forte (11th), Gore (18th) and Bush (19th).
Of course, having so much depth at running back provides me with insurance for injuries at the position. In addition, it gives me surplus trade ammunition in the event that another team loses a running back to injury.
- Wide Receivers (my rankings): At this point, I am happy with White, Wallace and Gordon as my trio of starting receivers and like my depth with Hilton, Britt and Wright. White is extremely durable (no missed games in eight years) and has six consecutive seasons with 1,100-plus yards. During that stretch, he has averaged a line of 94/1296/8. Signing this offseason with the Dolphins, Wallace is one of the league's best vertical threats and should have a bounce-back season. Gordon is poised for a breakout season in Norv Turner's vertical-passing attack and it's likely that he won't be available as late as he has been in this and my other recent mocks. I have Britt and Wright ranked one spot apart and was surprised that Wright lasted another 20 picks after I selected Britt.
- Tight Ends (my rankings): Once again, I waited on tight end, another common theme with my mocks. Getting Olsen in the 12th round was an excellent value. In 10-team leagues, I will typically draft only one quarterback and one tight end since there will typically be several good bye-week options available on the waiver wire.
- Kickers and Defense: As always, I will take the best available team defense with my second-to-last pick and the best available kicker with my last pick.
Tomorrow I will do a 14-team mock using PPR scoring with the No. 4 pick.
|DraftKings: Open an account and get a 100% deposit bonus (up to $600).|