Week 8 Fantasy Football Rankings: Top 25 Quarterbacks
FanDuel Daily Fantasy Basketball:|
>> FanDuel's Fantasy NBA Freeroll: Free entry, valuable prizes to win.
Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford is once again leading the NFL in passing attempts.
Although he is on pace to throw only 663 pass attempts (like in 2011) instead of the record-setting 727 he had last year, Stafford is having a better overall season than he had last year.
After posting a 20:17 TD-to-INT ratio last season, Stafford is on pace to throw for 4,866 yards, 34 touchdowns and only nine interceptions.
With the exception of Denver's Peyton Manning, no other quarterback has scored more fantasy points than Stafford this season.
Although the Cowboys have not allowed a passing touchdown in back-to-back weeks, only the Broncos have allowed more fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks this season. Before that, the Cowboys allowed three 400-yard passers in five weeks.
Peyton: A weekly 20-point lock
As noted earlier, no quarterback has more fantasy points than Manning and it's not close. Manning has 193 fantasy points and Stafford has 136.
Through seven weeks, Manning is still on a record-shattering pace of 5,863 yards and 57 touchdowns.
In addition, he has thrown multiple touchdowns in every game this season and has only one game with less than 300 passing yards — 295 versus Jacksonville. Coincidentally, that was also the only game in which he did not score at least 20 fantasy points.
Although Manning (ankle) missed practice on Wednesday, he returned to the practice field on Thursday and is expected to play on Sunday against the Redskins.
After allowing 20-plus fantasy points to quarterbacks in their first three games, the Redskins have allowed a total of only 29 fantasy points to them in their past three games combined. That said, they still gave up 41 points to the Bears last week and allowed Josh McCown to average 10.2 yards per pass attempt in relief of Jay Cutler.
RG3 on the run again
Washington's Robert Griffin III had his best game of the season from a fantasy perspective last week.
Not only did he throw for 298 yards and two touchdowns, but he also ran 11 times for 84 yards. It was the second consecutive game in which he was productive as a rusher. He ran nine times for 77 yards in Week 6.
Stated differently, Griffin III has more rushing yards in each of his past two games than he had in the first four games of the season combined (72 yards).
The good times should keep on rolling for RG3's fantasy owners as he heads to the Mile High City to take on the league's most generous fantasy defense for quarterbacks.
Not surprisingly, Vegas expects this game to be the highest-scoring game of the week with an over/under of 58 points.
Here are some notes on fantasy quarterbacks:
- After throwing for no touchdowns and scoring double-digit fantasy points in back-to-back weeks, Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton has thrown for 300-plus yards, three touchdowns and scored 24-plus fantasy points in back-to-back weeks. This week, the Bengals face the Jets, who have allowed the 10th-fewest passing yards this season.
- Only four quarterbacks have scored more fantasy points this season than Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. That said, he has actually been outside of the top-12 fantasy quarterbacks in more weeks (four) than he has finished inside the top 12 (three weeks).
- It's been a disappointing season for Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer. Since Week 1, he has no 300-yard games and he has thrown multiple interceptions in five consecutive games. During that five-game stretch, Palmer has thrown only five touchdowns and 11 interceptions. That said, he has a favorable matchup this week versus the Falcons, who have allowed the fifth-most fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks.
- 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick threw for 199 yards against the Titans last week and now has thrown for less than 200 yards in five of his past six games. With 68 rushing yards and a score, however, Kaep had his second-best fantasy game of the season last week. In the second London game of the year, the 49ers will "visit" the Jaguars, who have allowed 15 passing touchdowns with only three interceptions.
- Through Week 7, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady ranks 20th among quarterbacks in fantasy points. Of course, injuries have had a huge impact, but Brady still finished with single-digit fantasy points last week despite the return of tight end Rob Gronkowski. In his past three games, Brady has thrown only one touchdown and has three interceptions with a total of 25 fantasy points.
- Jets rookie Geno Smith has struggled to put together a string of quality games. Instead he has alternated between excellent and horrible fantasy performances this season: 14, 3, 24, 7, 21, 4 and 20. This week, he faces the Bengals, who last week allowed their first 300-yard passer since September 2012.
* Play Daily Fantasy Football and get a 100-percent deposit bonus from DraftKings.
Here are my Week 8 fantasy football quarterback rankings:
1. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos (vs. WAS)
2. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints (vs. BUF)
3. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers (at MIN)
4. Matthew Stafford, Detriot Lions (vs. DAL)
5. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins (at DEN)
6. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys (at DET)
7. Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles (vs. NYG)
8. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers (at TB)
9. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers (at JAX)
10. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks (at STL)
11. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons (at ARI)
12. Tom Brady, New England Patriots (vs. MIA)
13. Eli Manning, New York Giants (at PHI)
14. Terrelle Pryor, Oakland Raiders (vs. PIT)
15. Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals (vs. NYJ)
16. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers (at OAK)
17. Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs (vs. CLE)
18. Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins (at NE)
19. Carson Palmer, Arizona Cardinals (vs. ATL)
20. Geno Smith, New York Jets (vs. CIN)
21. Thaddeus Lewis, Buffalo Bills (at NO)
22. Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (vs. CAR)
23. Chad Henne, Jacksonville Jaguars (vs. SF)
24. Christian Ponder, Minnesota Vikings (vs. GB)
25. Jason Campbell, Cleveland Browns (at KC)
26. Kellen Clemens, St. Louis Rams (vs. SEA)
More Week 8 Fantasy Football Rankings:
- Week 8 Fantasy Football RB Rankings
- Week 8 Fantasy Football WR Rankings
- Week 8 Fantasy Football TE Rankings
Week 8 Daily Fantasy Football Salary-Cap Analysis: