Week 16 Fantasy Football Rankings: Updated Top 30 Tight Ends
A stud especially in point-per-reception (PPR) formats, Cowboys tight end Jason Witten has never been a dominant force in the red zone.
In his 11-year NFL career, he has never finished with double-digit touchdowns, but he is only one touchdown off his career high of nine set in 2010.
Not only does Witten have eight touchdowns, which is fourth among all tight ends, on the season, he has scored half of those touchdowns in his past four games. Five of those touchdowns have come in his past six games.
That said, Witten has four or less receptions in five consecutive games and only has more than five receptions three times this season.
As a comparison to last season when he set the single-season record for most receptions (110) by a tight end, Witten had less than five receptions only four times all year and three of those were in the first three games of the season.
On the season, Witten has 59 receptions for 703 yards and eight touchdowns.
Based on his current production, Witten is on pace to finish with 67 receptions for 803 yards and nine touchdowns. Either way, it appears likely that he will finish with seven-year lows in both receptions and yards despite his success in the red zone this year.
This week, the Cowboys will go on the road to face the Redskins, who have allowed the fourth-most fantasy points to opposing tight ends. Washington has allowed a touchdown to an opposing tight end in all but four games this season, but one of those four games was their first matchup against Dallas.
Another great matchup for Walker
Excluding the game in which he was concussed, Titans tight end Delanie Walker has been targeted at least eight times in four consecutive games.
Against the Cardinals last week, Walker was targeted 11 times and finished with eight receptions for 53 yards and a score.
In those past four games that he has started and finished, Walker has 27 receptions for 252 yards and three touchdowns.
Walker gets another favorable matchup this week against the Jaguars, who have allowed the second-most fantasy points to opposing tight ends this season. In their first matchup, Walker had four catches for 82 yards and a score.
Jags' Lewis has scored in three straight weeks
With Cecil Shorts out for the remainder of the season, there will be more targets for the team's other receivers and their tight ends.
Jaguars tight end Marcedes Lewis has been productive recently and could be an option for someone looking to replace someone like Gronk or someone in deeper leagues.
As of Thursday morning, Lewis was owned in only three percent of Yahoo! leagues.
Lewis has scored in three consecutive games and there is a solid chance that he extends his scoring streak to four games.
After allowing only one touchdown to a tight end from Weeks 5 to 13, the Titans have allowed touchdowns in back-to-back games to the position. On the season, the Titans have allowed the 12th-most fantasy points to opposing tight ends this season.
* If you like doubling your money, open a DraftKings account and get a 100-percent deposit bonus.
Here are my Week 16 fantasy tight end rankings (standard scoring):
1. Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints (at CAR)
2. Julius Thomas, Denver Broncos (at HOU)
3. Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers (vs. ATL)
4. Delanie Walker, Tennessee Titans (at JAX)
5. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys (at WAS)
6. Greg Olsen, Carolina Panthers (vs. NO)
7. Tony Gonzalez, Atlanta Falcons (at SF)
8. Martellus Bennett, Chicago Bears (at PHI)
9. Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers (vs. OAK)
10. Dennis Pitta, Baltimore Ravens (vs. NE)
11. Charles Clay, Miami Dolphins (at BUF)
12. Heath Miller, Pittsburgh Steelers (at GB)
13. Zach Miller, Seattle Seahawks (vs. ARI)
14. Marcedes Lewis, Jacksonville Jaguars (vs. TEN)
15. Tim Wright, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (at STL)
16. Coby Fleener, Indianapolis Colts (at KC)
17. Zach Ertz, Philadelphia Eagles (vs. CHI)
18. Tyler Eifert, Cincinnati Bengals (vs. PIT)
19. Logan Paulsen, Washington Redskins (vs. DAL)
20. Ryan Griffin, Houston Texans (vs. DEN)
21. Andrew Quarless, Green Bay Packers (vs. PIT)
22. Jared Cook, St. Louis Rams (vs. TB)
23. Mychal Rivera, Oakland Raiders (at SD)
24. Brandon Myers, New York Giants (at DET)
25. Ladarius Green, San Diego Chargers (vs. OAK)
26. Scott Chandler, Buffalo Bills (vs. MIA)
27. Luke Willson, Seattle Seahawks (vs. ARI)
28. Brent Celek, Philadelphia Eagles (vs. CHI)
29. Gary Barnidge, Cleveland Browns (at NYJ)
30. Michael Hoomanawanui, New England Patriots (at BAL)
More Week 16 Fantasy Football Rankings:
- Week 16 Fantasy Football QB Rankings
- Week 16 Fantasy Football RB Rankings
- Week 16 Fantasy Football WR Rankings
Week 16 Daily Fantasy Football Salary-Cap Analysis: