Fantasy Football Mock Draft Per Day (July 7th): 16 teams, No. 3 pick
Back on May 27th, we began our 2014 fantasy football mock draft per day series using our site's mock draft simulator (powered by FantasyPros).
As we continue through the offseason, I will continue to complete a mock draft every day as I vary the scoring format, league size, draft slot, etc. and today's mock is a 16-team league using standard scoring and I have the No. 3 pick.
Here are my picks in today's mock draft:
1.03 - Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota Vikings
2.14 - Andre Johnson, WR, Houston Texans
3.03 - Toby Gerhart, RB, Jacksonville Jaguars
4.14 - Joique Bell, RB, Detroit Lions
5.03 - Mike Wallace, WR, Miami Dolphins
6.14 - Lamar Miller, RB, Miami Dolphins
7.03 - Jay Cutler, QB, Chicago Bears
8.14 - Zach Ertz, TE, Philadelphia Eagles
9.03 - Rueben Randle, WR, New York Giants
10.14 - Marvin Jones, WR, Cincinnati Bengals
11.03 - Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Carolina Panthers
12.14 - Mike Tolbert, RB, Carolina Panthers
13.03 - Andrew Hawkins, WR, Cleveland Browns
14.14 - Pittsburgh Steelers D/ST
15.03 - Robbie Gould, K, Chicago Bears
Some notes about my team (view full details here):
- QBs: I considered taking Nick Foles at 4.14 and was hoping I could get him at 5.03. Instead, he went with pick 4.15. Last year, the Cutler-Josh McCown duo combined for what would have been the fourth-most fantasy points among QBs. Considering the team's talented pass-catchers, I wouldn't be surprised if Cutler finished as a top-five scorer if he stays healthy.
- RBs: While I'm a bit higher than most on Gerhart (13th) and Bell (20th), those two RBs along with Peterson (3rd) give me three top-20 RBs in this 16-team draft. (Gerhart and Bell were the 18th and 28th RBs off the board, respectively.) I like Miller's upside as my RB4 and Tolbert provides some depth.
- WRs: Johnson has not played with a stud QB during his entire time in the league, but he has played 16 games in four of the past six seasons. In those four (full) seasons, Johnson has more than 100 catches and 1,400 yards every time. Early reports have been positive from Dolphins workouts about Wallace's bounce-back candidacy and then Randle, Jones, Benjamin and Hawkins all have upside appeal.
- TEs: It's rare for TEs to have a lot of success as rookies. In fact, only one rookie TE ever went over 1,000 yards (Mike Ditka, 1961). In fact, only five have reached 700 yards, but only one of them has done so since 1989 (Jeremy Shockey, 2002, 894 yards). The long point here is that TEs generally have much better success in Year 2 (e.g., the breakout seasons of Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham in 2011). While I'm not projecting Gronk- or Graham-like production for Ertz, he has a ton of upside in Year 2 and I feel good about getting him 126 picks into this mock.
Mock Draft Simulator: Complete your own mock drafts on our site for free.
Our 2014 fantasy football rankings:
- 2014 fantasy football quarterback rankings
- 2014 fantasy football running back rankings
- 2014 fantasy football wide receiver rankings
- 2014 fantasy football tight end rankings
- 2014 fantasy football cheat sheet
Tomorrow's mock draft will be a 12-team league using point-per-reception scoring and the No. 6 overall pick. Follow me on Twitter (@EDSFootball) to keep track of our updates.
|DraftKings: Open an account and get a 100% deposit bonus (up to $600).|