2021 NFL Power Rankings: San Francisco 49ers
Throughout the 2021 NFL season, we will compile a consensus NFL Power Rankings that averages the rankings of all 32 NFL teams.
Here is where the San Francisco 49ers rank in terms of average, best and worst:
- Average ranking: 18.6 (18th)
- Best ranking: 16th (The Athletic)
- Worst ranking: 22nd (CBS Sports)
Below you will find a Week 7 roundup for the 49ers in our consensus 2021 NFL Power Rankings.
ESPN -- Rank: 18
The 49ers have been in every game they've played and could be 5-0, just as they could be 0-5. But they're 2-3 and riding a three-game losing streak, all against teams considered preseason playoff contenders. The hardest part about trusting the Niners right now is they don't yet seem to have forged an identity that inspires much confidence. There are reasons for hope, but there are even more questions that need answers to come back in the affirmative for this season to get back on track. -- Nick Wagoner
NFL.com -- Rank: 17
The bye came at an ideal time for the Niners, who stumbled into their off week on a three-game losing streak. The offense needs to achieve consistency, and San Francisco could find it by addressing two big issues: 1) Who is the quarterback going forward? 2) Who can stay healthy and serve as a catalyst in the running game? First-round pick Trey Lance is a player who can be a solution to both those questions, but he's dealing with a knee issue and doesn't appear to have earned Kyle Shanahan's trust just yet. It might be time for the coach to make a leap of faith.
CBS Sports -- Rank: 22
They come off their bye with the likelihood that Jimmy Garoppolo could be back at quarterback. They can't let the Cardinals and Rams get too far away in the division.
USA Today -- Rank: 20
Hopefully the bye helped clear head of underperforming WR Brandon Aiyuk, who has eight catches for 90 yards -- on the season.
The Athletic -- Rank: 16
Rookie Heat Check: Trey Lance has made just one career start, and he's already injured. At some point during the 49ers' 17-10 loss to the Cardinals on Oct. 10, the No. 3 pick suffered a sprained knee, according to coach Kyle Shanahan. But these things are to be expected when a quarterback gets sacked twice, hit six times and hurried 14 times. Combine that with 16 rushes, and well, San Francisco's top quarterbacks were on the mend during the bye. Now, part of Lance's game is how well he uses his legs and gets out the pocket. No one is saying to stop that. Just find ways for him to take less abuse and reinforce the need to not expose himself to unnecessary hits.
- San Francisco 49ers 2021 NFL Power Rankings Roundup: Week 6
- San Francisco 49ers 2021 NFL Power Rankings Roundup: Week 5
- San Francisco 49ers 2021 NFL Power Rankings Roundup: Week 4
- San Francisco 49ers 2021 NFL Power Rankings Roundup: Week 3
- San Francisco 49ers 2021 NFL Power Rankings Roundup: Week 2
- San Francisco 49ers 2021 NFL Power Rankings Roundup: Week 1
- San Francisco 49ers 2021 NFL Power Rankings Roundup: Post-Draft
More San Francisco 49ers pages:
- San Francisco 49ers Mock Draft Roundup
- San Francisco 49ers Snap Counts
- San Francisco 49ers Franchise Leaders
- San Francisco 49ers Draft History
- San Francisco 49ers Schedule
- San Francisco 49ers Tickets
- 2022 NFL Mock Draft
- 2023 NFL Mock Draft
- 2022 NBA Mock Draft
- Fantasy Football Rankings
- Fantasy Football Start'em, Sit'em
- Fantasy Football Waiver Wire
- NFL Power Rankings
Keep track of our site's updates: (1) follow us on Twitter, (2) like us on Facebook and/or (3) subscribe to our newsletter.